The Engine Driver's Soliloquy

Nepean Times Saturday 21 September 1935 p. 7.
Said an old Penrith driver, "Before I die.
There is just one engine I'd like to try."
"What is it?" said the C.M.E.
"A 'K, 57,' or slide Valve T."
 
"Well, I don't like the look of the 57's,
And know nothing about a K,"
I like the slide Valve T's and P's,
But the engine I want is a J.

"I just want one trip on 496,
From Penrith to Bathurst and back,
For my mate I want old Geo Gascoyne,
For my third man, Billy Mac.

"I don't want her fitted up to date,
With, patent glass protectors;
I don't want super heated steam ,
Nor yet exhaust injectors.

"I don't want one of those flash young guards.
For them I have no use;
I'd like Harry Newman at the back,
With a bogie or caboose.

"I suppose I'd feel strange through the ten rat holes,
Instead of the old Ziz Zag,
But I think I could manage 60 trucks
If I had Bill for spragg.

"I Just want a look at that dear old town,
Out there on the western plain,
I'd like a drink at the Mill-Town Pub,
And a stroll down through Pye Lane.

"Just now, when I look at a passing train,  
While my grandchild plays with his toys,
And I see 57's with a thousand tons,
In charge of bare-face boys.

"My thought go back to the olden days,
Before the track was cleared,
When you wouldn't take a fireman out,
Unless he grew a beard.

"I could- tell some good tales of the trips I've had,
But I haven't got time just flow,
See me again on pension day,
Over at the old Bed Cow."

F. BROWN.
Penritn

No comments: