The Perth to Adelaide Trooper



A poem by Rocky Marshall (1943)
Recited by John Dengate

I've bashed my spine on solid rock,
I've lain my head on sand,
I've wooed the angels, done my block
On feather beds so grand.

I've slept on boards within the quad,
In calaboose and clink,
I've snored with wink an' blink an' nod
When we ran out of drink.

I've snoozed in every kind of hole
And every type of sleeper,
But cripes the worst one of the lot's
The Perth to Adelaide Trooper.

You're tossed from morn 'til noon 'til night,
The engine grunts and squeals
But how the heck can it run smooth,
When running on square wheels.

Now trains are crook, at anytime -
You only get to blinkin'
But, stone the crows, on that there line
You seldom get to winkin'.

You're tossed from morn 'til noon and night
The engine grunts and squeals
But how the heck can it run smooth
When running on square wheels?

On rock an' sand, stone an' wood,
I'll do spine bashing super,
But fire, famine, come what could
Are better than The Trooper.

So give me death or give me life,
Promote me to a Grouper*
But save me from the bums an' strife
Of the Perth to Adelaide Trooper.

Notes

*Group Captain

No comments: